Office of the Directorate of Printing and Stationery, Assam is situated at Bamunimaidam, Guwahati-21. Printing Press of Assam Govt. was established in the year of 1874 in the month of August at “Betten Hill” in Shillong. Initially the press was known as “Assam Secretariat Press”. In the year of 1892 it is being changed to “Assam Secretariat Printing Department”. Again in the year of 1921 name had been changed to “Assam Govt. Press”. Which remained same till to-day.
In the year of 1954 the Government of Assam had taken a Cabinet Decision to start one Branch Press of Assam Govt. Press at Guwahati to do the Printing works of Gauhati High Court. According by as per Cabinet Decision in the year of 1954 on 14th November a branch of Assam Govt. Press was established at Guwahati in the campus of Guwahati Jail. After two years press had been shifted to a rented house at Rehabari, Guwahati. In that year the Stationery wings of the Department was incorporated.
Present Building of the Directorate of Printing and Stationery was completed in the year 1961 at Bamunimaidam, Guwahati-21 and it was inaugurated by the then Hon’ble Minister of Assam Late Rupnath Brahma, on 16th of November, 1961.
The First Director of the Directorate of Printing and Stationery was Late Rana Pratap Baruah (B.Sc., Printing Tech.).